Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Separation Anxiety


Saturday was the true adventure. We decided to split up for the morning. Katie fretted over me like a mother sending her child to his first day of school. “Now where are you going?” she asked as I traced my path to Chairman Mao's house on our torn map of Shanghai. I thought I saw I little tear of pride hang from her eye as I crossed frogger style through the weaving scooters.


And then I walked. If I was smart I might have realized that it would only be like two dollars to take a taxi, but I enjoyed the stroll. I passed through shopping centers, neighborhoods, and lots of people. I was getting anxious to leave Shanghai. I saw Mao's place. He only lived their 11 months and afterwards didn't spend much time there. I read some of the signs and walked back to meet Katie.

No comments: